We asked our Dental Hygienist, Kylie Svaricek, about teeth and how to keep them white and bright. No matter whether your goal is for a whiter smile or healthier teeth and gums, her advice has got you sorted.
1. Diet can affect the shade of your teeth significantly, especially tea, coffee, red wine and coloured foods, like curry and pasta sauce. It’s always a good idea to rinse your mouth with water after having any food or drinks that may stain your teeth.
2. Smoking can make the teeth more yellow and the tobacco can leave dark brown patches on the teeth – a good reason to quit and work on brightening your smile. Avoid smoker’s toothpastes, which can be extremely abrasive.
3. You can use a whitening toothpaste. It will not whiten the teeth as such, but it can help to remove some light surface staining.
4. Ensure you brush and floss away the bacteria (plaque), as it can start to appear yellow in colour when it matures from sitting on the teeth too long. Your dentist or hygienist can advise you on the best techniques to suit your mouth.
5. See your dental hygienist or dentist for regular preventive care, so we can polish away the stain and plaque, which will brighten your smile and keep your mouth healthy.
Find out more about how you can make an appointment to visit Queensland Country Dental in Townsville or Mount Isa.