Queensland Country Health Fund prides itself on offering products with generous benefits. We review these benefits each year to ensure we maintain a very competitive and value for money product. We also want you to experience the genuine value we offer our Members thanks to our generous benefits that grow each year.
Below you'll find all of the details of our benefit changes which will take effect on 1 April 2022.
We’re increasing the age dependents can stay on your policy!
In line with recent changes to legislation, dependents will now be able to remain on your family policy up to and including the age of 31 providing they meet the eligibility criteria.
What policy type will I be required to hold to be able to cover my dependents?
Family/Single Parent Family Policy
- Covers the policy holder, as well as their partner and all dependents up to 21 years.
- A dependent can remain on a family policy at no extra cost up to and including 31 providing they are not married or living in a de facto relationship and is either a full-time student at a school, college or university, an apprentice earning no more than $30,000 p.a or unemployed and receiving a Centrelink benefit.
- Where a dependent doesn’t meet this criteria, you may opt for an Extended Family level of cover.
Extended Family Policy
- Covers the policy holder, as well as their partner and all dependents up to and including age 31 (or just the policy holder and dependents in the case of a Single Parent Extended Family policy).
- Extended Family Cover is available on our hospital covers, with the exclusion of Public Hospital (Basic+)*. The cost is slightly higher than a standard family or single parent family policy but is more cost effective compared to the dependent taking out their own cover at the same level.
- The dependent cannot be married or living in a de facto relationship.
*Public Hospital (Basic+) is no longer available for purchase.
Healthy Living Benefit inclusions
We understand that particularly in our communities, skin checks are important and are a crucial step towards the prevention of skin cancer.
While previously our Fund did pay a benefit for skins checks, this was only claimable when completed through a mole mapping service. We are pleased to be changing our guidelines to now include any form of skin check providing a Medicare Benefit is not claimable.
We aim to help Members live better lives through better health and understanding nutrition is key to preventing a large range of health issues. Supermarket tours are now becoming increasingly popular and are a great way to assist and educate Members to make the right food choices to support their health. Effective 1 April 2022, these tours can be claimed under our Healthy Living Benefit. The supermarket tour must be completed by a dietitian or other allied health provider qualified to deliver nutrition advice.
For our Members who hold an Extras level of cover, please see the below benefits claimable in a Membership year:
^No longer available for purchase
Removal of accommodation benefit travel limit for parent/carers of dependents aged 12 and under
- Where a dependent aged 12 and under is required to go into hospital for treatment, the accommodation benefit will extend to a parent or carer travelling with them regardless of the travel distance from their home.
- The accommodation benefit is up to $50 per night and will apply to every night for the duration of the hospitalisation required including the night prior to admission and also the night of discharge.
- A benefit won’t be paid towards accommodation for both the patient and carer for the same dates. e.g. the benefit is limited to $50 per night and is not claimable by the patient while admitted.
- Accommodation benefits only apply to policy holders of our hospital products providing the treatment or service you or your family are being admitted for is actually covered by your current hospital cover.
- This accommodation benefit will not be available for policy holders of a stand-alone extras cover.
- This accommodation benefit is not claimable if you are staying in the Fund’s unit accommodation in Townsville or Brisbane.
Mechanical Aids & Appliances – CPAP consumables
We have received consistent feedback from Members about the ability to claim a benefit for certain CPAP machine accessories, in particular DC converters and battery packs used while travelling.
Where Members hold one of our Top Levels of Hospital Cover*, effective 1 April 2022, these items will now be claimable under the $250 consumables sub-limit (per person, per Membership year).
*Top Hospital (Gold) and Comprehensive Hospital (Gold) – Closed products not available for purchase.
Thank you for your feedback!
Queensland Country Health Fund prides itself on offering products with market-leading benefits. We review these benefits each year to ensure we maintain a very competitive and value for money product. We also want you to experience the genuine value we offer our Members thanks to our generous benefits that grow each year. If you’d like to learn more, contact our friendly team today for a chat.